- Howstuffworks.com — general outstanding source of technical information about telecommunications (and other things) explained in lay terms. Highly recommended.
- 20 things I learned (basics re Internet, Web @ Google’s Chrome team) (cache)
- Warriors of the net (great animation of IP packets traversing the net)
- General histories of technology
- General communications texts
- Intermediate level
- David Cyganski and John A. Orr, Information Technology: Inside and Outside (Prentice Hall 2001). An excellent, readable textbook.
- Ray Horak, Communications Systems & Networks (Mark A. Miller consulting ed., 1997).
- Annabel Z. Dodd, The Essential Guide to Telecommunications (1998).
- Gilbert Held, Understanding Data Communications (7th ed. 1996).
- E. Bryan Carne, Telecommunications Primer: Signals, Building Blocks and Networks (1996).
- Arthur Lemuel Albert, The Electrical Fundamentals of Communication (1942). Although an older text, Chapter 13 of Albert’s book explains clearly the transmission of electromagnetic waves down copper wire. The explanation is clear and concise.
- Nathan J. Muller, Mobile Communications Factbook (1998). This book covers the gamut of communications technologies. Useful as a reference as it includes descriptions of all major communications technologies and protocols.
- Propagation of Radio Waves (M. P. M. Hall et al. eds., 1996). This work is highly technical. However, the first chapter sets out the electromagnetic spectrum with a general description of properties and vocabulary.
- Cotter W. Sayre, The Complete RF Technician’s Handbook (2nd ed.1998). Somewhat off the beaten path, this technical reference contains excellent explanations of modulation techniques, as well as their advantages and disadvantages.
- Intermediate level
- Analog and digital signals described @ Omega.com
- This chart (pdf; cache) from the NTIA provides an excellent summary of frequency allocations
Computing | Networking Basics
- Ron White, How Computers Work (1997) (easy illustrated introduction)
- 40 Years of Intel Processor Timeline @ PCMag.com
- Video salute to Moore’s Law @ gizmodo.com
- This networking primer from Novell provides lots of detail about networking.
- Eddie Kee, Networking Illustrated (1994) (easy illustrated introduction).
- PBS.org, Networking the Geeks has a history of the rise of networks and the Internet. Follow the “Chapter” and “Section” links for further information.
- More about layered models for networking, from Cisco